Senior Project Engineer – Virginia
An engineering professional who, working with little or no supervision, applies scientific knowledge, engineering knowledge, mathematics, and ingenuity to complete assignments related to a specific technical field or discipline. A Senior Engineer has general knowledge of other related disciplines beyond their own.
- Independently plans and conducts small – to medium-size assigned projects within engineering specialty requiring conventional types of plans, investigations, and/or equipment. Manages multiple, often concurrent, projects and meets deadlines.
- Maintains project controls and reporting for cost, scope, and schedule; develops execution strategy including procurement; balances multiple demands within an assignment, e.g. executes contingency plans to recover from schedule slippage and financial overruns.
- Establishes workable and tractable schedules. Works with staff, outside firms, and/or consultants to agree on plans and timetables for a specific project; identifies pinch points or conflicts, e.g. determines verification and tracking mechanisms; sets performance metrics; assigns responsibilities for team members; develops a budget.
- Independently performs economic analysis and feasibility studies related to project alternatives. Responsible for achieving the project’s financial targets in support of business objectives.
- Anticipates future directions. Benchmarks internally and externally. Recognizes changes in the environment and present resources as indicators of future problems and opportunities; prepares for such eventualities, e.g. initiates plan to acquire new engineering skills required by changes in technology.
- Designs and leads complex experiments, often with multiple variables, gathers data, and performs preliminary analysis. Reports findings. Prepares and communicates recommendations and respective action plans.
- Produces unique and cost-effective results. Establishes alternate use possibilities and incorporates flexibility; balances system costs with benefits provided; oversees design work of internal and external consultants, e.g. integrates complex manufacturing processes, and defines product flow within regulatory constraints.
- Integrates financial with technical data. Analyzes complex interdisciplinary problems and identifies their impact; establishes probabilities; draws conclusions reflecting broad business needs; understands organizational and financial impact of recommendations, e.g. applies regulatory requirements, and recommends best course of action; sets complex design and process requirements.
- Improves methods/designs/processes. Recognizes and implements good ideas/innovations/costs reductions; consistently generates/adopts original solutions to problems and reduces them to practices, e.g. implements better methods to reduce component cost; creatively applies others’ design ideas.
- Mentors others by sharing technical expertise and providing feedback and guidance.
- Interfaces frequently with inter-organizational and outside customer contacts. Represents the organization in providing solutions to difficult technical issues associated with specific projects.
- Prepares written communication. Conveys information effectively through formal and informal documents with team members, designers, technicians, and other technical personnel, both internal and external to Abbott, using appropriate communication protocols, e.g. develops proposals; conducts reviews; provides audience targeted content; prepares project summaries and design documentation. Obtains approval to precede with proposed action plans.
- Establishes networks. Follows through on project goals; contributes willingly and incorporates the ideas of others; shares resources, knowledge, and accountability to benefit the objectives of the business, e.g. participates in team meetings; serves as a functional expert in cross-project design review.
- Builds relationships. Initiates and cultivates open, honest relationships with colleagues, customers, contractors, and vendors by establishing rapport, developing an understanding of others’ needs, promoting common goals, and following through on commitments, e.g. offers assistance; interacts effectively with stakeholders at appropriate levels of the organization.
- Resolves underlying problems. Identifies full range of customer/client needs and proposes solutions to address them; makes alterations in products or services to better meet (recognized or unrecognized) customer need, e.g. partners with an outside vendor to provide a better deliverable.
- Complies with all regulations and standards for quality, Environmental, Health, Safety, and Energy (EHS&E) Global Policies, Abbott Engineering Standards, and other governance areas as applicable and ensures quality and effectiveness of assigned tasks.
- Develops procedures, standards, and executives’ validation protocols.
- Coordinates with technical support personnel to conduct prototype or experimental runs of products or processes.
- Directs the efforts of others such as technicians and outside resources.
- Performs tasks such as writing Requests for Capital Expenditures (RCEs), safety/quality checklists, scope documents, etc.
- Resolves problems, such as production process deviations, vendor deviations from specification, urgent out-of-stock replacements, and crisis situations requiring fast, astute decisions with rapid implementation by utilizing technical training and experience.
- Represents engineering on corporate and division task forces.
- Provides mentoring in technical and organizational areas within work group; monitors the improvement of other engineer(s), e.g. delegates challenging tasks to others to help them develop; provides constructive and timely feedback.
- May supervise other engineers or technicians.
- Works under general direction. Independently determines and develops approach to solutions. Work is reviewed upon completion for adequacy in meeting objectives.
- Identifies and quantifies technical risks and their consequences relative to the success of part of a project; recommends appropriate action, e.g. reports calculations and recommendations in terms concrete enough for management to make an informed decision.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, science, or closely related discipline is desired, or equivalent technical experience plus demonstrated competence, with a desired 5+ years of significant engineering and/or operational experience. A post-graduate education/degree is desired, and may contribute towards the desired years of experience.
- Has demonstrated competency within a discipline.
- Possesses a strong technical knowledge and application of concepts, practices, and procedures. Works on problems of complex scope where analysis of situations or data involves multiple competing factors. Exercises judgment within defined procedures and practices to determine appropriate action.
- Interacts well with diverse groups within engineering and maintains strong working relationships with internal and external collaborators.
- Listens to and understands others’ points of view and articulates tactfully and respectfully one’s own perspective orally, in writing, and in presentations.
- Works well with other engineers in a collaborative, fast-paced goal-driven environment.
- Possesses interpersonal skills to negotiate and reconcile differences.
- Has a technical background in health care, nutritional products, laboratory diagnostics, medical devices, pharmaceutical, or similar industries (preferred).
- Has demonstrated competency with financial systems and in fiscal control.
This is an opportunity to go to work for an industry leader in the pharmaceutical and nutrition industry. A Forbes top 150 company which can offer an outstanding career path for the right individuals. They are a very employee centric company and are always looking for new ways to improve employee happiness and work-life balance. Currently looking to fill a multitude of opportunities across the country in various states. Here are just a few of the outstanding benefits this company offers its employees highly competitive compensation, phenomenal health benefits, retirement plans, and tuition reimbursement.