Sanitation Manager – Illinois
Under the direction of the Quality Systems Manager this position is primarily responsible for the implementation and execution of the plant Sanitation Effectiveness, Pest Management and Hygienic Engineering Design Systems throughout the total value stream which includes but is not limited to supply, receiving, manufacturing, storage and distribution. The Sanitation Manager also ensures compliance to all corporate sanitation policies as well as state and federal government regulations by leading the design, update, implementation and necessary training of programs such as Sanitary Design, Sanitation, GMP’s, Pest Control, etc. This position ensures that policy requirements are translated to specific local programs including standard work. This position also identifies resource needs in production and the sanitation support team as well as partners with business unit managers to provide leadership, development and the necessary training to supervisors to efficiently and effectively execute their sanitation responsibilities. The ideal candidate must also be able to lead a zero defects journey for the plant’s sanitation programs and operational objectives with a focus on statistically based data management and continuous improvement to deliver best in class cost of sanitation.
- Plant lead for chemical and sanitation safety strategy and planning.
- Plant lead for hygienic engineering design reviews, which includes but not limited to partnering and providing direct input to Engineering Project Leads and Operational Equipment Manufacturers on review and development of equipment from blueprint to final equipment design as well as development and delivering internal sanitary design training.
- Plant lead for the current and future identification of sanitation required expense and capital needs with any required supporting data for justification and ROI.
- Develop and provide technical expertise for managing and troubleshooting food and environmental biological monitoring programs, monitoring (PEM-Pathogen Environmental Monitoring for targeted pathogens and non-PEM for standard biological organisms related to the products, ingredients and processes within the plant).
- Directly engages in any critical or special situations and promptly discerns if additional resources or senior managers are needed. Provides direct leadership and direction setting to all shifts to ensure that accurate communication and follow-up occurs.
- Partners with plant operations, maintenance, engineering, quality and CSC to ensure that sanitation and pest control programs, procedures and systems are effectively developed, executed and monitored per policy requirements.
- Facilitates compliance with IL6S, QCDSM, HAACP, GMPs, KSRMP, MQFS, MES-OEE and sanitation guidelines as well as any other key plant initiatives. Insures corrective and preventive actions and continuous improvement processes are being utilized in manufacturing and that action plans are verified and effective.
- The position has key 3rdshift leadership and managerial responsibilities that include allocating &managing resources, developing talent and providing input for budget management. The position will also provide updates to assist Business Unit Mangers and other managers regarding talent assessment towards high performance or development needs for performance appraisals.
- Assists department supervisors with making go/no decisions concerning chemical, cleaning and/or design impacts on production, maintenance, quality and sanitation issues.
- Undertakes and completes special projects assigned by the Quality Systems Manager as necessary
- Champion a Zero Defects Journey and lead the sanitation position and results within company standards.
- Plant lead on sanitation and pest control program and procedure development, training, execution, and monitoring.
- Plant lead on site period cleaning (PIC / PEC) program development, training, execution, and tracking.
- Communicate and escalate any safety, food safety/quality or vendor issues and provide support as needed.
- Manage plant internal sanitation team, and sanitation / pest control vendor resources, and applicable regulatory visits i.e. USDA.
- People/ skill development through training and coaching of plant personnel.
- Manage sanitation / pest control budget.
- Track, report, and review the sanitation Performance Indicators on a regular basis to drive continuous improvement.
- Manage cost of sanitation
- Monitor process capability against specifications and drive improvement utilizing statistical tools
- Conduct Effective Root cause analysis and implement corrective action and preventative action.
- Development and training of plant sanitation team
- Development and training of other local team members
- Work with the plant leadership team to ensure all sanitation programs and systems are implemented
- Coaching/development of all plant leaders in regards to sanitation tools
- Timely and effective reporting to Plant Quality Manager
- Executes Sanitation training within local site
- 5-10 years in quality/manufacturing/sanitation management roles working in multiple manufacturing environments preferred
- Food processing sanitation program experience
- Understanding of manufacturing processes
- Meat and/or cheese experience preferred
- BS Food Science/Engineering/Biology or other relevant sciences
- Practical Sanitation Application (CIP and COP)
- Chemistry of Cleaning knowledge
- Hygienic Engineering Design for Pumps, Piping and Equipment
- Pest Management
- Food Safety and Regulatory requirements
- Identification and Management of Microbiological Organisms and Systems
- An understanding/experience in lean manufacturing principles preferred
- Certified Quality Engineer preferred
- HACCP certified preferred
- GFSI audit certification preferred
My client is an iconic food manufacturer who has a deep portfolio of admired food & beverage brands that can be found in the pantries and refrigerators of virtually every household in the United States and Canada. 80% of their sales are in categories where they hold the #1 or #2 market position. They are looking for innovative thinkers with fresh ideas and an entrepreneurial spirit. Don’t miss this opportunity to join an amazing team.