Quality Engineering Manager – Illinois
Under the direction of the Quality Assurance Manager this position is primarily responsible for the design, implementation and execution of the plant Quality Engineering Strategies for building capability to identify and eliminate defects as well as leading the continuous improvement of product and process capability throughout the total value stream. The Quality Engineering Manager also ensures that all packaging and processing systems achieve a DPMO level to operate at a 1.33 CpK. The ideal candidate must also be able to design and lead a zero defects journey for the plant’s wide array of production assets and systems to attain their operational objectives and ensure ultimately that our products deliver 100% Consumer satisfaction.
- The Quality Engineering Manager is the Quality Pillar lead for the site and responsible to ensure that the entire Quality DMS plan is relevant, applicable and active in driving the Zero Quality Defect Culture needed to reach the plant CBN.
- Responsible for the design, implementation and training of the competencies for knowledge and capabilities for the Quality Engineering BOK (Body of Knowledge) necessary to assure that all manufacturing processes and systems are capable to achieve and then sustain a minimum 1.33 CpK.
- Leads the development with RDQ and process engineering for the CT(X)’s (Critical to Quality (CTQ), Critical to – Food Safety (FS) or Regulatory (R), and Critical to Process characteristics for all processes and products.
- Serves as the subject matter expert for the Quality Engineering methods, tools and procedures that deliver product at a zero defect level by assuring that all experimental design and modeling work is statistically based and sound.
- Provides direct leadership for quality and operations associates across all shifts through strong floor presence and the provision of standards, subject matter expertise, risk analysis and disposition support and creative thinking.
- Provides technical expertise to the Manufacturing Operation by identifying program and process variation and implementing corrective and preventative actions via proven practices or innovative technology.
- Leads the Quality Engineering Team to proactively establish and/or improve standards for manufacturing practices and methods that will produce uniform products in conformance with company specifications and all government regulations.
- Directly engages in any critical or special situation or other quality alert or incident and promptly discerns if additional resources or pillar support is needed.
- Leads the capability development in providing statistical information and managing issues in weight control, product composition, product attributes, consumer complaints and other areas as required.
- Ensures the Quality Engineering team leads the implementation of tools such as QIE, Centerline Management, MQM, PDM and other design of experiment capabilities in IL6S loss elimination processes.
- Facilitates alignment discussions and planning with all AQM’s, Lab, Sanitation and Compliance Managers to further support the broader Quality DMS within IL6S.
- Must possess the capability and commitment to coach QE’s and Process Leads to perform in-depth, fact-based assessments of manufacturing operations to identify losses and gaps in program, process or procedure as a part of the Zero Loss Journey.
- Must effectively create and manage a communication plan and escalate any product, process, food safety or other system risks and facilitate the conversations with Sr. Leaders in the plant and corporate to minimize gaps and business disruption
- Leads the QE’s in provision of capability data to the product design teams for all new product launches and product/process/package revisions.
- Responsible for the quality analysis of all aspects of the operational side of the value chain and thereby develops baseline measures for current line capabilities.
- People / skill development through training and coaching of department and plant personnel.
- Provide input and ideas to the Quality Assurance Manager to successfully create and manage annual department and capital budgeting.
- Track, report, and review the Process and Performance Indicators on a regular basis to drive continuous improvement.
- Leads the master data collection that monitors process capability against specifications and drive improvement utilizing statistical tools.
- Partners closely with the CI manager to build the capabilities needed for effective Root cause analysis and implement corrective action and preventative action.
- Works one on one with all department QE’s and BUM’s to ensure all Quality Improvement strategies and plans are implemented
- The position will also provide updates to assist Business Unit Mangers and other managers regarding talent assessment towards high performance or development needs for performance appraisals.
- Minimum BS in Chemical Engineering or other Engineering field or technical Science degree with demonstrated focus on applied statistics and other relevant sciences
- Master in technical discipline or business preferred
- 5 years in quality, manufacturing or CI role with at least two years in quality leadership role within plant manufacturing and/or corporate environments required
- Direct management of Quality Engineering technical competencies and development of the staff
- Subject Matter Expert for the site on Quality Engineering
- Ability to coach/influence local plant management and plant workforce
- Communication of ideas/technical information in a easily understandable way
- Accurate assessment of risks and timely communication to others
- Direct Quality Engineering experience and CQE required
- Quality Pillar knowledge and experience strongly preferred
- Understanding of project management methodologies and tools with prior exposure to project management practices strongly preferred
- Hands on experience with leading problem solving and process improvement strongly preferred
- Food processing and packaging systems experience
- Understanding of end to end manufacturing systems
- Advanced Technical Training and experience
- Measurement System Analysis
- Basic and Applied Statistics
- Lean Manufacturing and Six Sigma Methodologies
- SPC, DOEs and Reliability required.
- Strong knowledge of statistical software packages strongly preferred
- Chemistry of Cleaning knowledge
- Other ASQ certifications CQM, CQA, CHA, CRE, etc…preferred
- HACCP certified preferred
- GFSI audit certification preferred
My client is an iconic food manufacturer who has a deep portfolio of admired food & beverage brands that can be found in the pantries and refrigerators of virtually every household in the United States and Canada. 80% of their sales are in categories where they hold the #1 or #2 market position. They are looking for innovative thinkers with fresh ideas and an entrepreneurial spirit. Don’t miss this opportunity to join an amazing team.